Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Final Days

Blogger has hidden many of my postings when I exceed a certain number per month.  So I am placing some hyperlinks here to access the missing blog posts.  These postings pick up where the end of this page leave off.

Coastline Pictures

Yet More Pictures Of The Coast

Lincoln City And An Awesome Souvenir

Missed Picture

Pacific Coast, Ecola State Park, and Cannon Beach

Spring In Portland

Oregon

Vacation To The Pacific Northwest
Saturday the 17th was the last full day of my vacation, and I had also designated it my official birthday celebration day. I was traveling on Sunday, my actual birthday. The trip was somewhat of a gift to myself. But I did arrange and hope for some company on my designated celebration day. I was fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of and enjoy the kindly attention and hosting by a new friend in Eugene.
Thank you Andy! You accepted the 'job' of birthday date and went well above and beyond the task. I have you to thank for a very memorable experience!
We began the day exploring the Silver Falls which are located east of Salem. This is a winding path of water which cascades down multiple scenic drops, many of which you can walk behind. There is a trail around the entire area, and you could walk well over 7 miles if you choose. We did maybe 3 to 4 of them. I've included a few pictures below. My computer is filled with pictures! I've tried to pick some of the best. Really!
After our hike, and my getting sun-burned, we made our way to Troutdale, Oregon, and the McMenamins Edgefield. I had mentioned earlier the establishments by the McMenamin Brothers. What a concept these two have hit upon. Old properties are totally restored and artfully decorated, and dot the social landscape of Oregon. Edgefield is a resort! But unlike many a resort, it is affordable. We arrived with no reservation, but here again, I do seem to have some luck in some areas, a suite was cancelled just prior to our arrival. We took it!
How to describe this place? Words really do fail. You must see it. It was once a home for those down-on-their-luck. A refuge for those who had lost property. A poor farm, worked by those who lived there. Later in its existence, it became a nursing home. Then time and use caused it to fall into disrepair. The McMenamin Brothers acquired it and totally fixed it up in the late 1980 to 1990s. I'm not seeing a precise date. There are no TVs or phones in the rooms. Many rooms are in a dormitory type setting, allowing for very affordable lodging. There are vinyards and gardens all around the property. We were there at the height of the spring bloom. An evening stroll was quite aromatic!
The place is exquisitely painted throughout the main lodge. You can spend a couple hours walking the hallways and looking at the art. Each room is designated as one for a real person who lived there at some time in the past. There are elaborate quotes and calligraphy and sometimes the surprising painting in some out-of-the way corner. I decided to not even attempt to take any pictures, other than the one on our suite door.

There is a fine restaurant serving a lot of food out of the garden on the property, and fresh items from the surrounding area. It is called the Black Rabbit Restaurant, and there is a theme of a black rabbit throughout the resort. We dined there, and it was delicious!
The property includes a winery, pressed from their own grapes, and other local wines from throughout the Willamette Valley. We visited there and had a tasting of wines. He the reds. Myself the sweet whites. There is a distillery, which we did not visit. There is a brewery! We did visit one of the pubs and enjoyed hummis and various drinks.

I stayed up late, and was up early as I had to catch a plane by 7, and was off to the airport by 4:30. It was a wonderful experience that I hope to return to at some point. Upon my return to La Crosse I lamented that we do not have anything like what the McMenamin Brothers have created . . . really comfortable bars and pubs, warm, friendly, with WiFi. A successful combination!
OK . . . here are some final scenic picturs of some of the Silver Falls.




I had a fabulous time in Oregon!! I have fallen in love with the state . . . I think! Or at least, infatutaion! I was seeing it at the best possible time. Maybe I should plan to visit again in February, when it is cold and rainy and gloomy before I make my final decision. Also, the whims of where I find a job will hold some sway on where I go.

In Oregon, I saw rhododendrons and azaleas to fill the eyes. I tasted gelato, and wausabi. I brought back a smooth rounded rock from the Coast and a volcanic rock from the Cascades. I found a coveted glass globe. I brought a stick that was smoothed from the ocean. I visited one of the largest bookstores I have ever been to (Powell's City of Books in downtown Portland). You need a map to find your way. I drove over a thousand miles in winding ocean and mountain roads. I left something of value at the bottom of a crystal clear alpine pool, to maybe pull me back to the area.
I made two new friends!

Memories to feed a soul that sometimes is terribly hungry for social food.

I hope it is a love affair that will blossom . . . and that my association with Oregon is only at its beginning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter