Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Pacific Coast, Ecola State Park, and Cannon Beach

I was up very early this morning. I was off to bed pretty late too! So I didn't get a whole lot of sleep! My CouchSurfing hostess had to go back to work today, and had to leave at 5:45, so I was up and ready to go too. She tells me I'm the first CouchSurfer to be up and leave that early! I followed her directions out of Portland with the goal to get on Hwy 23 headed to Cannon Beach. I managed to miss some exit somewhere, and drove a few backroads, but eventually found my way.

There is a network of mountains, not really high ones, that follow to the left of the Willammette Valley. These are called the coastal range. They are covered in pines. And because this range receives all the moisture off the ocean, the pines are also very covered in moss. Never mind it being only on the north facing side of the trees. It covers them, and drapes from all sides.

I've included a couple pics here, but you really can't get an appreciation of proportion. I call especial attention to my friend Spooky. Check it out! You may like to hug these, but you'll get wet and slimy and green if you do!
There is lots of water! Lots of water running off everywhere! I stopped and checked out some weird looking plants along the road. The air is very heavy with a deep green scent.
There were other trees I saw driving with more substantial moss coverings.
I arrived at Cannon Beach just as Pink Floyd on the radio was playing "Learning to Fly". I thought it appropriate. I then couldn't find access to Cannon Beach, so ended up doing a turn around and went to Ecola State Park. I'm glad I did, for I was one of the first people to arrive. I had the overlook to myself for awhile, and then drove up and around the hill to one of the beaches, which I also had to myself for awhile. I worked my way down to the actual water line and walked a ways down.

All I saw mostly was sand and rocks . . . lots of rocks. And some drift wood. What sealife I did see was either sea birds, or occassionally the remains of someone's breakfast.
But you can't beat the scenery!

The forest comes right up to the ocean, and then in many places just drops off into the sea.




I looked in some of the tidal pools, but never found anything other than sand, and rocks, and some green plants.

There are several places where fresh water runs off into the ocean. Here you will find many fresh-water lichen and mosses.

Finally . . . . Haystack Rock. It was actually not nearly so impressive as Ecola State Park, mostly because the town of Cannon Beach surrounds it, and is all touristed up. And what the heck is that line in the picture? Must be a piece of my hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter